Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Leader A


Quite a long gap since my last post. This is because I was away for 2+ weeks for field camp, outfield for situational test.

The commanders keep asking us if we want to go to command school, OCS or SISpec. Clearly, a leader is not something that I say I want it, then I just get it like that. Even ask the sergeants what it means to be a good leader, they only say that you must be able to lead, you must be able to inspire, blah blah. But how exactly do you lead? What guides your decision? How do you utilise your men?

Being a leader in some sense, is not like a trivial thing to talk about. Therefore, I see so many wayang people out there, with loud voices and action, and they think they are leading. But anybody can shout at people and order them about. If your men do not respect you, no matter how much you shout at them, do you really think they will follow you with their heart? You can punish them all you want, and still silently in their hearts, they will never follow you.

A leader knows each of his men personally, he earns his respect by leading from the front, from the side, and from the back. I dunno, I am not a great leader myself, but have taken a few appointments myself, and observed others. And I have come some conclusions. A leader always makes decisions that are difficult. Because his decision will not make everyone happy, but if his followers are true to him, they will respect his decision. Subsequently, in this respect, that is where are flaws come in, for more often than not, we are selfish and greedy, myself included.

Being a leader is not easy, it is a wonder why so many want that post so badly. Is the allure of power so great? I have seen too many who go up and falter in the end, find out that its so stressful after all. Ah, but I'm blabbering..

Happy Chinese New Year Peeps.. Enjoy your bookout hols guys..

No comments yet