Thursday, April 9, 2009

Toradora final


After 2 weeks since the last episode, 25, I still remain unbelieved that the series is over. To me, the ending was just not satisfying enough. My friends have told me that the ending was entirely alright and within normal 'anime' bounds.. so I could not really figure what was I feeling about the show that made me feel that it was an unfinished piece of work.

And I believe I have the answer finally.
The ending or the events leading up to the ending simply lacked the color that marked the vibrancy well illustrated at the start of the series. Starting from episode 2, (episode 1 was just some preamble about our main male and female lead), the series have proven itself to be upbeat, with the the character interacting colorfully. Right from the OP song at the start to the ED song at the end. Each single episode was like this, perfectly illustrating the colorful personality of each character, all the while showing how they interacted relative to one another.

However, close to the end of this series, around episode 18 onwards, the story plot seemed to me to dive tail. The color between the characters seemed to evaporate more and more, until it looked very much like another drama TV series that we so commonly see on TV. Well, I have to give credit that Ryuuji finally made his choice clear, but then, the series ended on this abruptly like this without going much into the consequences of his choice. Well, they did show the part where their family seems to object to their choice, and subsequently,(in the next episode), their family seems not to object anymore.. There are so many consequences, not just the lovey-dovey aspect of the 2 of them together. For example, they could have illustrated how the dynamics of interactions changed between them and their friends, Kitamura, Minorin, and Ami. But no unfortunately.. the 3 characters seems to have just faded into nothingness near the conclusion of this series. They might have illustrated how the 2 of them got through their school life together. How their (funny) teacher and (varied) classmates react to the pair of them, now that they are 'officially' together. There was also no satisfactory conclusion between Taiga and her family members, though they were not properly mentioned to begin with, so I'll can let go at that.

This series begs for a second season.. with a proper closure. I hope.

No comments yet