Wednesday, May 16, 2007
39th Student Council
Today the 39th Student Council steps down officially. Wierd, I dont feel anything. I doubt nobody feels anything either, except the councillors stepping down. Well, I have to say the council's achienvements lie mainly on organising events. In that respect, it has built up a quite a formidable experience and quite a lot of resources at its disposal. Certainly, helping to organise events as helped about 100 students on teamwork and adminstrative work.
However, is organising the only thing the student council can do? No. It has been Faizal's dream to have a student body that communicates actively to the student council to and fro efficiently, via the Feedback Unit. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a lot of work to do for the feedback unit. Why? Unresponsive students(me included) who are unwilling to speak up or when they do, its some mundane adminstrative stuff like the toilet doors are squeaking, or so-and-so's class fans are not working.. In standard way of speaking, there's supply, but no demand.
I think by virtue of Singapore's education, students have lost almost all of their ability to make constructive opinions. Oh, its not like as if they lack opinions completely. They do, like they hate this and this teacher, that and that singer looks so cool. Not all of them are like dead zombies. Quite a few have a lot of constructive opinions, but are suppressed from expressing by virtue of the culture and the education system again.
I am willing to bet the 40th student council is not going to/unable to improve this.




No comments yet