Wednesday, July 4, 2007
The Ways of Aikido & Bodycombat
Yea man, had aikido and bodycombat today. Real cool. Tiring though.
Lets see, aikido first. As the instructor puts it, its supposed to be a peaceful art only for the purpose of self-defense. Yep, so despite all the throwing of people around the mats, its only for peaceful purposes. The theory goes like this, you're supposed to deflect the energy of your attacker, so that it does not hurt you, and use their own force against themselves, so that they are disarmed and cant hurt you any furthur. Ok, i can dodge knives and deflect them away, but I'm nt sure whether I can slam another person down. Perhaps its only because I was trying to slam yihong on the floor. I do think the shorter people vs taller people is not very good if you are trying to bring the person down. Because your centre of gravity is lower than that person's, you cant effectively leverage your body weight to help bring them down. Well, at least yihong had a easy time slamming me on the floor. The not-so-good part is when the instructor tried to show the 2 of us personally how it was done. The instructor grabbed my wrists, and then the next moment, there was a loud resounding "Clack" of my wrists bones squeaking, and the next moment I'm on the floor.Hmm..at least its not as bad as Judo.
Next, bodycombat. Well, first thing that you'll notice is that professionalism of the place is mindblowing. The showers there, as well as the sauna, is legendary. And the sheer numbers of treads, work out machines, is of pretty breathtaking if you have never been to such gyms before. Well, maybe I just need to go out more, to this kind of commercial centres. I should think Xavier's PW grp would be proud. They finally got me to go to a professional gym. The course itself, consists of high energy kickboxing with a high instructor, really high. Of course, such workout is not complete without the fast-paced funk music. All in all, a quite fun experience, I can only say the these are much better than the PE lessons in school. And certainly much better than getting dance instructors who try to make us contort in to various 'liquid' positions.
Haha, this certainly a lot more fun than last years enrichment week.




No comments yet