Saturday, March 1, 2008

Going to POP


Another week more before I'm out of BMT, and start saikang-ing somewhere else in some unit as a men. On hindsight again, I have absolutely no idea how I endured through all these weeks, taking in the punishments, the hardship of the environment, the regiment, the combat skills, the physical training blah, .. the list goes on. All I know was that to endure 1 second followed by another second, hour by hour. Of course night times are the best, for it means sleeping time. Book outs are always good, and book ins are an absolute morale de-booster.

I have no idea how I endured through field camp and situational test, except for the fact my platoon mates dryly commented that I stoned throughout most of it. Almost turning into a Kyan la.. I guess I kinda understand why you stone so much now la.. In field camp, organisation was the most difficult thing, for 150 ppl. We were not sure what to do.. not really sure how to go about doing it.. and assuming leadership responsibility to organise ourselves was overly diffused out. And there's always ppl shouting at one another simultaneuously, making the situation more chaotic and confusing. And there were always ppl, ppl like me, who had absolutely no incentive to see things speed up, slacking around, waiting for things to happen and organisation to occur. Why should I have the incentive to get organised anyway? Completing things fast means the officers and sergeants can find more work for us to do.. not like I have more rest time or what.

I have no idea how I endured through the discipline and regimentation. '5 min, everything down!', ' Never mind, whole lot, knock it down!', 'Very shag is it? Very shag is it? Never mind, crunches position, change.', 'You will leopard crawl from here to the entrance there. ( 20 m away)' ZZZ, I never liked strict discipline and regimentation. Why so rigid? Even if you want to enforce the discipline, you should use a combination of credible incentives, and disincentives. If I know that I do my best, and I will get punished anyway, why should I work that hard? I will only work to the point where the effort I expend, is less than the punishment I am going to receive. There's a reason why Lenin had to partially abandon the collectivisation programme after 5 years, and allow some farmers to privatise.


I have no idea how I endured through those physical training, except to know that everything will be better after the training is finished. Nevertheless, my readers will be extremely disappointed to know that I still fail IPPT, basically failing chin-ups and standing broad jump. Guilty to say that I'm not really that rationally motivated to train very hard, only training when they provide training and some times on whim at night.

Sigh, I just want to get on with my academic life. Inefficient allocation of comparative advantage sia.. The only thing I can do in army is to shoot la.. At least my range isnt bad at all, quite good, almost a marksman..

No comments yet