Saturday, March 10, 2007
Consiousness and I; This is NOT the title of this entry.
Consciousness is a very elusive topic indeed. Perhaps, we can most readily identify consiousness with self-awareness. I am aware that I am thinking about myself. Descartes said, "I think, therefore I am". It is almost as if our minds are standing apart of ourselves, and observing ourselves from the third party viewpoint.
This has significant links to a certain subject called, self-reference, or recursion. The next sentence is false. The preceding sentence is true. "Does this sentence remind you of PINK ELEPHANTS?" You have of course, just started reading this sentence that you have just finished reading.
It is mostly contradictory, and confusing to work in this area. Because of the paradoxical nature of such stuff. One solution to clarify such insane tautologies, is to ban the idea of self-reference all together. That means, all statements must be done in from the point of view of a third party. But inherently, this is not a good solution, because this ban does not extend to the idea of consciousness. You cant ban yourself of not thinking about yourself thinking. Our consciousness are already the product of a contradictory paradox!
Perhaps this is why the study of human consciousness is so difficult. What is I?
Something to think about.




No comments yet