Saturday, March 17, 2007

Paradoxes: An appetiser


There is an interesting quality to paradoxes. In the world of half-truths and half-lies, where the author himself may be a crackpot, paradoxes can sometimes lead us to startling truths, even if they be logical contradictions themselves.

Here is one such paradox. There will be more to come.

Proof that there exists a GOD.

I wish to prove to you that there exists a GOD. To do this, it obviously suffices to prove the necessarily stronger statement: That there exists an Existing GOD. By an Existing GOD, I of course mean that one that exists. Surely if there exists an Existing GOD, then there must exist a GOD. So all I have to do now is to prove that an Existing God exists. Well, we just need to look at 2 possibilities:

1) An existing GOD exists.
2) An existing GOD does not exist.

Possiblity 2 is obviously contradictory. How can an Existing God not exist? Just as a true blue unicorn is necessarily blue, an Existing GOD must exist after all. Therefore, an existing GOD exists. We have proven that there exists a GOD. QED

Think about it.

No comments yet