Saturday, March 31, 2007
I'm came out of night hike in one piece.
Thankfully, night hike is over, and I am back in civilisation in one piece.
GOD, everytime I go into MacRitchie reservoir, there will be this major rain right before me entering the reserve. From Sec 1 annual cross country till yesterday, there's never been an occasion where I cannot run in perfectly dry terrain. And everytime, I try my very very best to step clear of treacherous mud holes, and sludge pools, I somehow will fail most horribly, and end with one full foot inside it. Or 2 full feet.
Started from MacRitchie Reserve, walked over to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. Bukit Timah nature reserve was clearly the more dangerous one. With terrain that was muddly, slippery, meandering river stream right smack in the middle of the path, to rocky, steep, narrow with tall overgrown grass on either side. The night was extremely misty, at one point in time, when our group was emerging into this moor, we swear we could wolves/wild dogs howling in answer to dhika's imitation howl.
Though it times like this where organisation naturally falls in place without a central authority defining it. Naturally looking out for the person before you, passing down messages of treacherous landscape. We even evolved a short-form code for type of terrain. Dangerous was to mean rocky, slippery, steep uphill. Fatal was dangerous plus the presence of potholes, sludge pools,etc. There was even a 'sharon phua' code, meaning that the terrain was extremely extremely fatal, usually because the uphill gradient was so steep, and the footholds so unsecure, or that the downhill gradient had virtually no friction due to water/mud.
Our group started out being extremely high. Being the 5th group out of the 10 groups to set of, we managed to overtake quite a lot of groups by just pure brisk walking. After coming out of the bukit timah reserve, we were like the second group i think. Until, we met the jerrick station la, and got stumped on finding that stupid camouflaged guy. Afterwards, it was a straght march through the familiar 961 bus route from bukit batok to bukit panjang. Upon which, our group promptly gave out, all sense of highness gone. Our group then immediately plunged in ratings. Sighs, we then trudged through HDB flats in futile search of places. The rest is just history, and mostly zombie walking.
I am now extremely sick again, partially because I was not completely well before going on this taxing journey. Now coughing my lungs out every 1 min, upon which I would gag violently on my own coughing action, causing tears to flow, and runny nose. Which irritated my throat more. And I coughed more, triggering more runny nose..Damn sad. I think my computer screen is now covered with watever I coughed out.
Until the next time, ciaos.




No comments yet